View Single Post
Old 08-07-22, 07:09 PM
Bug Shield

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by smasha
Are you talking about top or bottom hooks?

Are you talking about adding extra bottom hooks? Where/how do you have the bottom hooks attached?

The only time I had a (top) hook failure with an Ortlieb was with new bags that weren't broken in. I was used to older, more worn-out hooks that that "grabbed" the railing as soon as they were in place and I let go of the handle/strap. The new ones weren't broken in, and I needed to press down on the top of the "grabber hooks" to make them grab the railing. I didn't fully realise this until after one of my new bags tried to escape.

My bottom hooks fail regularly on decent bumps, because the size/shape of the Super-Tourist racks doesn't have a secure enough position for that bottom hook, and then the bags will swing out, attached only at the top, until I stop and re-seat them.

Below is a diagram showing the "nub" that's *not* on the stainless version of the Logo rack (red circle) and where I think I'd want to get the top hooks (green circles) inside the vertical stays. Is that a setup that would work well with the Back-Roller QL2.1? My concern is that the rear vertical stay would put a torsional force on the rear hook, and may bend/break it over time. I'd *really* like to have that nub, and also get the top hooks as far apart as the bag allows, making it more stable. Maybe I can screw a plastic clamp of some kind there, to serve the purpose of the nub?

I didn't realize that the stainless Logo didn't have that nub you circled in red. As you noted, it is a key part of the flexibility of the Logo.

Here's a picture of my double hook setup on my QL2.0 Front Roller Plus panniers. Ortlieb now does the same on their Gravel Panniers.

Nevermind the mud. 'Tis the season!
Likes For Bug Shield: