View Single Post
Old 06-07-04, 09:43 AM
Stubacca

Bikes: '03 Fuji Roubaix Pro; '03 KleinGi Attitude; '06 Soma Rush; '04 Surly Cross-Check; '06 Soma Rush; '07 Scott CR1 / Chorus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jawbone
Stubacca, I've been using a Farrago too for the past several years and have had nothing but a miserable time with it. I've had to replace the rear wheel, the saddle... all kinds of things. But still, I put thousands of kilometres on that thing commuting 32km/day. I need to replace the BB and a bunch of other things, but the frame is sturdy enough. Any suggestions for reviving this rig in terms of drive train, rear wheel etc?
I just pulled mine down to a box of spare parts last week. When I have a couple of hundred bucks to spare, I'm thinking about rebuilding it as a single-speed grocery getter. I picked up a new Surly Cross Check last week to use as a commuting bike, and so far love it. Will post pics when I can muster the energy to take them...

I looked at rebuilding the Farrago, which would have been entirely possible. I just couldn't justify the money on it when I'd rather a better fitting frame. I needed wheels, BB, cassette, chain, headset, shifters and cables. If you really like the frame, it may be worth doing a rebuild with new 9-spd components, possible even with a drop bar (which is what I considered).