View Single Post
Old 05-27-23, 05:54 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3477 Post(s)
Liked 1,476 Times in 1,152 Posts
Originally Posted by BCDrums
Tourist, I had this light or its immediate predecessor, prior to the Cygolite. It seemed good, but twice the shell came apart and dumped parts on the road. I took to using it with an elastic band around it so it could not assplode. I liked the replaceable batteries, used Eneloop recharegables.
I had two XLC brand copies of the Superflash, one died on a rainy bike tour when water got in and corroded the internals. The other fell apart like yours did, the parts never to be found again. But the Planet Bike ones are staying intact. I have one Planet Bike one that is much older than the Superflash but same shape, and I put a rubber band around that one to make sure it stays in one piece.

Side note on Li Ion vs replaceable batteries. About a decade ago, I ran an errand but planned to get home before sunset, did not worry about battery charge. Things ran late, had to ride home in the dark and batteries were low. Stopped into a Walgreens and bought some disposable AAA batteries to get me home safely. I normally use either Ikea or Eneloop NiMH rechargeable AAA batteries, but the option to buy some disposables when in need is handy.

The Superflash has a bright flash but not so bright that the batteries are dead later the same day. On a bike tour, I will use it almost every day. A week later it is still quite bright but I recharge them weekly to make sure they stay bright.

One thing I like about the Planet Bike ones is that instead of just an elastic to hold it on the bike or a seatpost sized clamp, the Planet Bike ones also have a smaller seat stay sized bracket.