View Single Post
Old 05-15-19, 06:47 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4394 Post(s)
Liked 4,029 Times in 2,690 Posts
ABUS ABUS ABUS and ABUS. Don't bother with the rest. Seriously don't and don't worry about little stickers on the lock that say "sold secure" or "gold rated" or whatever council of what not has rated the lock. Usually for most companies that means they built a lock specifically to pass that test and go no further however ABUS happily will take their locks steps further because they are not building to a test but building a quality secure lock for actually usage.

I was talking with Kryptonite and they were showing off their new folding locks (a poor copy of the Bordo which ABUS invented) and I asked "why such a low security rating?" and the answer was "we couldn't make part of our lock very secure." Ouch not a good thing to hear when talking locks. Their heavy duty 12mm chain was broken in 2 hits from a sledgehammer while the ABUS 8mm chain is still fine barely a mark on it after enough hits to make several people tired and give up.

ABUS owns their own factories so the locks made in Germany and in Asia are made using the same ABUS designed equipment, the same virgin steel that uses their tempering and hardening the only difference is the ethnic make up of the employees and of course the lower security locks are coming from Asia. However those locks are still going to be harder to get in then an even some more expensive locks from other manufacturers. Also with some of their locks you can get them keyed alike meaning you can key them to other locks from u-locks to folding locks to frame locks to even padlocks as well as some e-bikes (Bosch and some Brose stuff). That means having one key code for many locks so when your kids get older and need locking solutions you can have one key for all the family locks so if someone loses a key you have plenty of backups (generally each lock will have 2-3 keys and a key code card to order more)

When buying a lock always ask yourself the question, if someone right now said I can give you $X (where X is the cost of the lock) to get your bike back would you pay that? Generally you would say yes, I know I would that is why I use high quality locks and am happy to spend the money on them if it means I don't have to spend money buying a new bike to replace a stolen one.

I have the Bordo Granit X-Plus and love it. I can easily mount it on my frame and don't really notice the weight but if I were to get something of similar security from another manufacturer the weight would be much higher and probably not as easy to carry. Granted your situation currently may not call for that lock but they make lower security Bordos that are still quite excellent like the 6000 which can be plus keyed and is still a 10 out of 15 and if you want to protect wheels and seatposts from getting stolen get some NutFix stuff and so long as the bike is locked up properly they cannot flip the bike on its side and if they do they will need an 8mm open end wrench which is a common tool but one a thief might not carry.
Likes For veganbikes: