View Single Post
Old 09-06-19, 09:08 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris0516
I unfortunately am moving to an area. Where the 'main artery', is a road just like this. I would have to stay on it for 1.4mi., before I could get off of it. So I am still wondering what I will do.

When I originally got my road bike in 2003. It came with 700x23. I eventually went to 700x25. I don't think that will be much help with rumble strips. Even if I have the tire pressure. At the top of the PSI rating.
Beach cruiser tires might work on the rumble strips.

But, if you stay to the right of the rumbles, you should be OK. Also, you can hear if a car is hitting the rumbles.

If you have to cross the rumbles, slow down to 5-10 MPH, and you can make it across, even with the road bike and 25mm tires.

The worst... in the past, people have posted accident reports where shoulders were narrow, and rumble strips were cut the entire width of the shoulder, forcing the cyclist to ride on the road.
I posted a funny map of a river crossing a few days ago. 10 miles out of the way to cross a river... but there are many things that take me to that extra loop specifically to avoid a 4-lane road, wide shoulders, and rumbles... (and where I have encountered rumbles after midnight, and 170+ miles down the road, and exhausted).