Old 05-19-21, 11:05 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,377 Times in 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by Krov9
Sounds like it could have been made of beryllium copper alloy, which often contains 0.2 to 2 % of actual beryllium. Then again, what you said about the bikes' weight, that percentage would have been much higher to compensate for the copper. I read that there are aluminum-beryllium alloys too, and that pure beryllium is hard but fragile and cracks easily.

Very interesting indeed! Would be nice to have one of those pop up in an auction or a collection.

​​Kinda bugs me that they blow up this rare material with the missiles it's used in. There could be so many other uses too
Beryllium-copper is used in some electrical connector pins. IIRC, it makes a nice spring material that is also conductive.
I recall some semiconductors using beryllium oxide as the thermal path (again, IIRC). There was always concern because particles of beryllium oxide are quite toxic.

Missiles and that sort of stuff are chock full of fancy materials. Considering that they might be protecting an aircraft worth a hundred million dollars, that's probably money well spent.

Steve in Peoria