View Single Post
Old 08-19-21, 08:10 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by Pulse_
Is it possible to have the same wheel with a 8 speed and 11 speed cassette? 8 speed cassette wheels for rim brakes should be cheaper now, with the 11 speed/ discs becoming the new standard.
No, the freehubs that the cassettes are mounted to are different. Also, the rim construction for rim brakes is different than for disc brakes (no braking track is necessary on these). In fact, I'd say if you were to buy wheels for your current bikes, I'd only recommend it for the Triban. Though it is a low cost Decathlon bike, most quality wheelsets can have their end caps swapped, so a wheelset you put on the Triban with a QR dropout could very easily be converted to Thru-Axle later by changing the end caps on the hubs.

Unfortunately, the Trek while excellent as an entry level bike is sporting a drivetrain (8 speed) and braking system (rim) that will only become increasingly rare in the future. I'd ride the Trek until you are ready for a new bike, then look for the next with at least an 11-speed drivetrain and disc brakes, then consider wheels for that bike.