View Single Post
Old 12-02-21, 01:34 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
LB ran a Black Friday deal where you could pay a $50 deposit and get the BF discount thru next Feb. That would be better for me because I can get the entire purchase comped next year by my company. It also means I have a month or so to decide on a build.

I'm leaning toward a flyweight WR50 front wheel because while I'm light at 64kg, I vastly prefer at least a 28mm front tire, and I could take it on some gravel with one of my bikes that has up to ~38mm of clearance. And because I'm light and enjoy climbing, thinking it makes sense to go a bit weight weenie with Carbon-Ti hubs, especially since LB told me that DT Swiss parts have a huge lead time and I wanted parts to convert between thru-axle and QR so I could use the wheels on two different bikes.

What I can't decide on are whether to go hookless (already converted to tubeless, not going back to tubes nor running pressures above 60 PSI), and whether to get a deeper rear, like the WR55 or even AR65. While I can get buffeted by crosswinds even on my shallow rims today, I'll also not purposely use these new wheels on super windy days until I gain confidence in them, so lightweight but providing pure flat speed in solo riding under not-too-wild conditions is what I'm after. Don't know if going 5mm deeper in the rear is even worth doing though, and the ARs are a non-Pro line so getting the finish to look the same might be a hassle.