Old 04-04-22, 09:59 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I have never been able to get past the looks of that trike. It just screams 'entry level'. Cheap, if I'm being mean. Don't do it. There is a trike called the ''Gekko". It might be an HPV model, maybe AZUB but it's deffo European. I was gobsmacked at how ... inexpensive it was. I would pay twice what they are asking, and I'm not a trike type. If I had to lock that Trident(?) I would find a way to get the main tube next to something that will fit in an 11" U-Lock AND get one of those tamper alarms. A Gekko and anything nicer I simply would not leave unattended. I would not. Someone committed to using a trike as a car replacement simply has to think outside of the box with respect to security. There are motorcycle chains that surely must be up to keeping a trike safe if they keep $14K super bikes off of Craigslist. Or just go to ACE Hardware and get 3' of a thickness of chain that you think suffices. Ask them for a suitable padlock. Bob's your uncle.
And indeed the reason I picked the Trident is maybe it won't attract as much attention as a higher end trike. I am definitely going to have to lock it up and leave it. My custom Bike Friday 2 wheeler never left my hand; I have a cheap Dahon I. bought used that I rode in the rare situations where I couldn't take my folded BF inside somewhere. The Trident is also going to have to live in my garage (where the BF lived in the house) and bikes are stolen from folks backyards and garages. I'll lock it to something in the garage and leave the seat indoors but one never knows. Losing a $1500 trike would hurt a lot less than losing a $2500 one (the Catrike Villager which tempted me). Also, I'm old haha, so amortizing an expensive trike over my remaining lifespan isn't necessarily a win.