View Single Post
Old 06-04-21, 08:31 AM
SWG

Bikes: Binachi Brava (?) Burley Duet Pashley Picador Plus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
This is our Burley Duet, acquired about a month ago. From the components (Suntour XCE, 7-speed) I believe it's an early model, probably 1993. It's mostly original.

So far I have replaced wear items including cables & housings, both chains, brake shoes, bar tape. I found some correct brake lever hoods and freed up the stoker seat stem which was seized – someone installed a super long one and just rammed it in there past the corrosion in the tube and got it well stuck. I replaced the two large chain rings which were difficult to match but I found suitable ones. I fixed the rear derailleur - the pin that stops it from over-rotating was missing so of course it fell apart when I removed the rear wheel. The freewheel had a broken tooth, replaced that. It had cruddy racks on it which I removed and will replace with better ones. It had ugly pedals on the front which I replaced. Maybe some other small improvements in the future but mostly just get it working close to new shape and add some touring gear like bottle cages and proper racks.

I got it to ride with my daughter who has a mild disability that prevents her from riding a two-wheeler. She's been on it a few times and I have ridden with my wife as well. It's a really decent bike and fun to ride, never owned a tandem before. We'll mostly ride it in the city.

Likes For SWG: