Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 1,939 Times in 1,384 Posts
Originally Posted by Dahoon
That is still missing the adaptation you get by being in ketosis for some time. Just riding will never make you as adapted as being in ketosis for say a month. I saw some research where they compared two riders amount of carbs and fat burned while riding before and after eating keto. Both became better at riding harder on fat, IE. less carbs were used at low and moderate levels compared to before which leaves more carbs left. You can ride your whole life and you'd never get those benefits.

I'll see if I can dig it up again.
No, not missing anything. Of course going keto improves fat burning. No one would argue otherwise, nor is that argument made above. The big However is that focusing on fat burning decreases one's carb burning adaptation. Thus if one's ride or event is going to involve hard efforts, the athlete who had combined fat and carb burning adaptations will ride away from the keto rider. TANSTAFL. I don't know of an event where the keto athletes will drop the carb burners. Even RAAM is a carb eating contest for instance.