View Single Post
Old 01-22-22, 05:31 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,871 Times in 3,015 Posts
Originally Posted by RH Clark
I bonked 2 years ago biking while fasting. I had no calories at all for about 36 hours before and I was 32 miles into my ride when it happened. I had to lay down for about 2 hours and I ate something. I was back to about 90% after 2 hours but I considered a hospital visit when it first happened. Yes, it was dumb and on purpose. I was trying to drive my body into starvation mode to reduce excess skin from weight loss. Running on empty a lot so to speak worked in that regard pretty well for me but I wouldn't think it would be the healthiest way do a ride. It was intended for weight loss rather than training gains. My opinion now would be different, and I would just train and accept the slower and likely healthier weight loss resulting from a good diet and good training plan.
That is just nuts! Having listened to the guys on Trainer Road for the last year or so I'm sold on a sensible fuel-to-ride strategy alongside a core healthy diet. I'm a full-on eating machine during endurance events and find it very effective. But I don't need to lose any significant weight, so it's only a matter of maintenance. I might aim to drop 5 kg for a big mountain event, but that would simply involve slightly smaller portions within my core diet over several months. I hardly even notice it.