View Single Post
Old 03-25-24, 10:03 PM
rholland1951

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,776 Times in 901 Posts
Monday afternoon I took the Rivendell Appaloosa out for a spin up the Minuteman to Lexington Center and back. This was only the second time I'd ridden it since I had Battle Road Bikes transmogrify it from a (in my view) somewhat eccentric beach cruiser with a 1x10 drivetrain and Billie Bars to an honest touring bike with Noodles, a 3x9 crank and bar end shifters, and Paul cantilever brakes with Dura Ace levers. There's no place like home, and, for me, the rebuilt configuration was downright homey, a better use of the long wheelbase frameset. After the first ride in the bike's new configuration, the snow and icy weather moved in, and I took the Appaloosa out of the rotation until Spring. Today I figured the time had come to continue the shakedown rides, and get to know this bike.

The Appaloosa proceeds at a smooth, unhurried pace, with the 55mm Fleecer Ridge Endurance tires on hand-built 29er wheels and the long wheelbase design (think stretch limo) smoothing any irregularities in the path. It's not quick, but it's smooth.

As the ride was beginning, I encountered a small demonstration in Arlington Center. The World comes home to roost in Arlington Center more often than you might think, and these manifestations have become customary.

Arlington's Great Meadow appears to have had a rough season. I was pondering "meadow", and wondering if "savannah" or "prairie" might be a more appropriate term for it.

Cranked smoothly up to Lexington Center and back, letting my legs get accustomed to the machines and the relatively heavy bike, getting the hang of when and how to shift so as not to pick fights with the drivetrain. Riding it kept me warm on the cold day.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 03-25-24 at 10:55 PM.
Likes For rholland1951: