View Single Post
Old 06-29-22, 12:42 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Liked 1,876 Times in 1,079 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I worked at a shyster used car lot and some gas stations and eventually was partners in a garage with another alcoholic. He went to a new car dealer after we closed and I didn't end up at a new car dealer until 1989.
my one friend was a mechanic until he grew tired on being yanked around by the dealerships he worked at

he worked flat rate - did very well - but then dealer 1 continued to change things around which (surprise) led reduced pay

dealer 2 did something similar - only worse - and that was the end for him

he was incredible - he could have a control arm off a car before I would have it up on the lift lol

the diagnostics mechanics have now are amazing - including the portable stuff ; mechanic can plug into a car and obtain critical info in seconds

last car I sold - guy brought a mechanic who took quick look at the car and then connected a diagnostic tool / something into the harness (or something lol) under the dash

my guess he got a read on compression / emissions / etc ... that type of thing ?

he/they seemed satisfied - and car was sold