View Single Post
Old 07-03-22, 08:18 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by Chesterton
A couple of questions about the Raleigh Sports/Superbe:

Is the large (23") frame comfortable for a person around 6' tall? For about ten years my daily rider was a Pashley Roadster with a 22.5" frame, and that felt just fine, although that has 28" roadster wheels, so the bottom bracket was higher than typical. I picked up a 21" Raleigh Sports a few years ago as a backup but it felt too cramped to be comfortable for anything other than a last resort bike. I considered replacing the seat post with something longer to get the saddle higher but never pursued it. My Pashley finally gave out after 10 years of Buffalo winters when the crank rusted through and the pedal fell out. So I'm looking for a new "getting around town" bike along the same line. My Anglophilia is strongly urging me to find an old Raleigh 3-speed in good condition.

If I don't luck out and find a Superbe with the original rack, what kind of rear rack is best on a Raleigh 3-speed? Just to hang a pannier to carry my lunch to work, etc.

Are there any "secret" websites other than Craigslist and eBay to troll for these bikes? I have my LBS on alert to let me know if anything comes through.
I rode 25"/64cm bikes for years and still do, but the last few have been 24"/62cm and I ride a 23" Sports with no problem. I keep planning to use a stem with more reach than stock. I also have a boxed 23" ladies' Sports for the day when I can no longer swing a leg over a diamond frame. I use a Pletscher on my bike with various panniers.

Try FB Marketplace. The Search is wonky and can drive you nuts but you might find something worthwhile. I've bought there.

Last edited by thumpism; 07-03-22 at 08:22 AM.
Likes For thumpism: