View Single Post
Old 07-16-22, 10:21 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by kahn
I did STP ONCE!! Two days. Seattle to Castle Rock on Day One and to Portland on Day Two. I had three requests. No heat, no headwind and no rain! Lost on all three. First day it was in the 90's. Woke up the second day and announced to my crowded motel mates, "you won't believe this" It was pouring. Rained most of the way into Portland and there was a headwind. And someone had strewn tacks on the roadway outside of Portland. Lots of folks sitting in the wet grass fixing flats. Yup, ONCE was more than enough! Oh, and I think we were close to that 10,000 riders - "On your left, on your left!!!!" And damn support vehicles always along the road looking for their folks. Then we took Amtrak back to Seattle. Off the train and a super truck rally was just getting out of the King Dome. Topped it off!!
I also did the STP but only once back in 2012. I did the two day and used it as a training ride for the RAMROD later that month. I had three flats before getting to the first rest stop in Kent. The tire was shot so I bought a new tire from the mechanic at an extremely generous discount. He also threw in three tubes for free. When I left Kent there was hardly anyone around. I rode hard to catch up to people and was continuously calling out "on your left".
Likes For SpeedyBlueBiker: