View Single Post
Old 05-02-21, 05:06 PM
ericzamora
junior

Bikes: 2020 Surly ECR / 2018 Norco Search XR steel gravel bike with GRX / 1983 Bianchi Campione D'Italia / Gary Fisher Wingra / Motobecane Nomade mixte (daughter's)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Radler_
I'm planing a 1500 miles (~50 days) trip for spring 2022 and have to make a decision on which gravel to buy. I set a budget limit around $2000 so carbon frames are out of the question. Since it's gonna be a long trip I'd like to have as much storage capacity as possible, which made me think about using a rear rack where to attach two side bags, but I've noticed that not alll manufacturers include mounting points on their gravel frames for this kind of racks.

Reading here and there I found that some people claim that, since gravels use roadbike-like frames, too much weight hanging on the rack could damage the frame and eventually bend it. However, some manufacturers do include mounting points although I could not find any info on recommended weight limit. In case I can not use a read rack I'd have to use one of those seat post backpacks, which have lower capacity and are not that comfortable to use.

Has any of you had bad experiences after using racks on gravel bikes? Would you recommend against them?

Thank you in advance.
- Giant's Revolt Advanced 3 is $2,100. If you can find one, if you have a good reputation with your LBS (who often knock off 10% for regular customers), it would be a carbon frame gravel bike that fits your budget. Giant's web site says the frame has "smart mount system for racks..."

- "side bags" are called panniers. I've used a pair of "Ortlieb Gravel Packs" on a rear rack on my steel gravel bike and they were fine.

- "seat post backpacks" are usually called seat bags or seat packs, and why do you say they are not comfortable to use? There are also "saddle bags" which are of another design altogether. I've used a large (14 liter?) seat pack, as well as a smaller 8 liter seat pack, and i barely noticed them while riding. what does comfort have to do with it?

I've also used my panniers on the rear on a rack, as well as a medium sized seat pack, and strapped stuff on top of the rear rack, all at the same time (as well as stuff in a front harness). I can recommend rear racks and smallish panniers (not the huge touring style sizes popular in the 70s) for gravel rides. I also recommend a seat pack too, and of course both together if needed. it all depends on what conditions you're riding in and what your needs are. And what you are carrying. Wide double-track or dirt roads, panniers are fine. extra windy conditions, panniers should create more wind resistance.

If you'll be riding singletrack, through trees, a seat pack would win. if you'll be pushing a lot, panniers can get in the way. but panniers are also much easier to pack. Smaller seat bags require you to be extra mindful of what you carry and how you pack. It would be most helpful to have modern lightweight compressible gear with the more modern bikepacking bag selections out there.

If you're all about speed, i'd go with bikepacking designs like a seat pack over panniers.

as background, I ride a Norco Search XR steel gravel bike which has the mounts for a rear rack. I also ride a steel Surly ECR "dirt touring/expedition" bike, which has mounts for everything under the sun lol.

eric/fresno, ca.

Last edited by ericzamora; 05-02-21 at 05:11 PM.