View Single Post
Old 07-16-22, 02:14 PM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedyBlueBiker
48 miles today on a nice warm day. Cycled by the University of Washington where they are preparing for tomorrows Seattle to Portland bicycle ride. Most riders cover the 206 miles in two days but a few do the whole ride in one day. 5500 riders will take part. At its peak they used to have 10,000 riders.
I did STP ONCE!! Two days. Seattle to Castle Rock on Day One and to Portland on Day Two. I had three requests. No heat, no headwind and no rain! Lost on all three. First day it was in the 90's. Woke up the second day and announced to my crowded motel mates, "you won't believe this" It was pouring. Rained most of the way into Portland and there was a headwind. And someone had strewn tacks on the roadway outside of Portland. Lots of folks sitting in the wet grass fixing flats. Yup, ONCE was more than enough! Oh, and I think we were close to that 10,000 riders - "On your left, on your left!!!!" And damn support vehicles always along the road looking for their folks. Then we took Amtrak back to Seattle. Off the train and a super truck rally was just getting out of the King Dome. Topped it off!!
Likes For kahn: