Old 07-24-22, 03:53 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by Duo
yeah, beautiful island.

it may be best to leave it in your condo and then buy one in Japan. best of both worlds.

what's mountain biking like in Japan? is it popular or just minor niche?
It’s very popular, mountain biking is doing better in Japan than most other places. Most of Japan is mountainous, and most people live in the cities. The countryside is pretty empty, and getting emptier as the older people die off, and the younger people move to the cities. There are trails all over the country, from Hokkaido to Okinawa, Japanese people are enthusiastic about anything they can do outdoors. Unfortunately, this means the more famous trails can be pretty crowded.

I like Hokkaido and Okinawa. Hokkaido is large, with very few people, and has amazing scenery. Parts of Hokkaido have become popular with “foreigners” mostly Australians, Canadians, some French and Brits, and a few Americans. The food is amazing, there are lots of places to stay, and it’s easy to get around if you speak English. Okinawa is not as pretty a place, the buildings are all concrete and ugly (because of frequent typhoons), but the beaches are every bit as good as the best here in Hawaii, and it’s easier to drive in Okinawa.

There are trails in Chiba, Saitama, Izu, Nagano, and other places within driving distance of Tokyo.

I ride a road bike in Tokyo, these are smooth, safe, and there are many scenic routes which are not at all crowded. I’m supposed to go to Ibaraki next month if I ever get out of Hawaii.