Old 05-21-12, 03:37 PM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel
Interesting. My saddles are very comfortable, but I still get occasional saddle sores, particularly when putting in a lot of miles. The sores are always on the left side. How do you know which shoe to shim or how much? Is it just trial-and-error? Also, how do you shim if you use SPD pedals and cleats?

BTW, regarding choosing a saddle that fits, the best advice anyone can give you is to buy your saddle from a store with a wide selection that allows returns. Finding a saddle that fits is trial-and-error. I probably tried a dozen saddles before I found one that fit me perfect, and I've since bought about 5 of those saddles and installed them on all of my bikes. Proper set up is also important. Some saddles fit me best when perfectly level, others if slightly up-tilted in the front. Tilting the front down never works for me.
I used the plastic from a ice cream container for my mountain bike shoes and cut them the same size as the cleat. I used 2 shims on that, but I know I could use another one. If I did that I would need a little longer shoe. I bought the other ones for my Look pedals and the LBS. I forgot that 10 wheels doesn't use cleats and they do sell inserts for inside your shoes as well.

To find out which side you need the shims. I layed on the floor and had my wife pull on my legs and she seen that my right side was longer than my left. Keeping my legs straight, doing a situp, my legs were the same length. That means that I have a tilted pelvic. I had to shim my right shoe to kick my butt over to the left. That way it quits rubbing on the saddle. Just for good luck I moved my cleat on my right shoe forward about 2mm.

I got tired of the plastic saddles and I just put a Brooks Swallow on my bike and that also helps.