View Single Post
Old 10-20-22, 05:38 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross

Interesting. I'm quite the opposite, and everyone I know who rides in sub-freezing temps also subscribes to this rule-of-thumb: the secret is to not be warm enough the first 5 miles or so; you want to be a little cold when just starting out, so that when you do eventually warm up you don't run the risk of having already drenched your inner layers in sweat.
I've overdone it and been too warm but I thrive in the warm stuff so that's just unpleasant and a lot of stuff to wash. And I've done rides where I never could get my core temperature up enough to ride hard enough for sustainable warmth. The resulting ride was condtioning-wise, a waste of time and a couple of times, scary. Fortunately those were on warming days.

Edit: I'm built like an air conditioner, all surface area, little volume. I've always run cold. 98.6 and what's going on? That's almost fever for me. (A little exaggeration but over the many COVID skin tests, I was only once or twice up to "par".

Last edited by 79pmooney; 10-20-22 at 05:42 PM.
Likes For 79pmooney: