View Single Post
Old 04-04-21, 05:10 AM
Ghostknife

Bikes: 14 DiamondBack Interval Carbon, 14 Specialized Fatboy Expert, 08 Specialized Langster London, '78 Raleigh Sports

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by oldspokes
I'm a couple hours out of NYC and about an hour out of Philly, there's bikes all over for sale that don't sell, even for cheap.
There's a half dozen used bike guys around here with rows of beach cruisers and old three speeds for sale and nothing seems to move.
All last year I listed about 8 bikes, two sold, one was a Sprite 27 the other a Schwinn Collegiate 5 speed. I had a pair of what looked to be never ridden Raleigh LTD models in 23" frames that Iisted for $200 obo all year, One finally sold to someone who drove here from Virginia, the other sold to someone who was here visiting relatives over the holidays.
There doesn't seem to be any shortage of bikes here at all. The only issues lately have been getting parts, mainly tires. The cost of tires has gone up 5 to 7 times what they were before last spring. That cost increase seems to mostly be at the dealer level because the wholesale prices haven't gone up nearly as much, some not at all with minor back order issues.
What I've run into locally is dealers who won't stock or order vintage tire sizes, they will only order one at a time which ads shipping charges to every order.
My local dealer, Hamilton’s bicycles in Richmond MI, seems to always have a the 26x1-3/8 in stock but I don’t remember the brand of tire. He doesn’t change his prices very much. It’s hard to tell if all this is coming from factories being shut down due to Covid or companies taking advantage of the situation. Either way it stinks.