Old 08-30-21, 05:51 AM
RobertUI 
Monkey Boy

Bikes: '22 Surly Straggler, '15 Breezer Downtown EX, '19 Motobecane Record (fixie)

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 54 Posts
I got it tuned up this weekend, but wound up not being able to ride it because I STUPIDLY didn't think about the fact that the wheels are not 700c!!!! I felt like a total newbie moron when I looked at the rim (as the tire wouldn't go on) and saw 27 1??" and said out loud "oh yeah, that's a thing". I completely forgot as it's been a few years since I dealt with 27s. The wheels cleaned up pretty well, but now I need to find a tire. I stopped at my closest (not favorite) LBS, and the mechanic convinced me that I needed a Schwinn specific tire (I also remember that was a thing) but I told him the rims were marked 27 1??" Weinmann and he told me that wasn't good enough, that I needed to bring them the original tire (I had ridden another bike there). I then came home and got more confused when I couldn't find what he was talking about on the tire... there IS a marking that says SCHWINN after the 16x630 ISO and 27 something. So.. I am asking here to see if anyone can recommend tires. I do NOT believe these are "hookless" and am planning to get something like this: (https://www.ebay.com/itm/29269151691...r=592593031726) Kenda K36 27 x 1-1/8" . Does anyone else have another suggestion? The original tire had a 7" slice along centerline of the tread. The previous owner had lined the tire with duct tape, which obviously didn't hold :-)

FWIW, I did take a nice 19 mile ride on my other lugged Schwinn (resto-mod)!