Old 09-22-22, 06:26 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3135 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 1,028 Posts
jonathanf2 I get your preference for 25s, as I prefer the feel and handling as well.

Your question about wear rates is interesting, and I suspect complicated to answer. A wider tire at lower pressure will have a bigger contact patch carrying the same weight as the narrower, higher pressure tire, so I’d guess the friction between tire and road would be lower across the bigger patch. However, I can imagine that, at the tiny scale of a few millimeters we’re talking about, the effects might be minimal, or at least small to the extent that all the other variables at play (ride demands, temp, road surface, etc.) might be just as consequential to wear. I dunno, but I can say that, in my experience moving from 23s to 25s, I did not see any appreciable wear improvements despite dropping about 10psi, so maybe there’s a breakpoint size difference, e.g. 5mm, where it becomes noticeable? Dunno, so I’ll have to defer to others on that matter.

As said upthread, it’s probably a good idea to have at least one spare on hand in any case, especially these days with the all the stock and supply issues.
Likes For chaadster: