cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by Herzlos
I've ordered a Shimano HG50 11-36 10 speed cassette (Deore) which should be a drop-in replacement and making my lowest gear about 5% easier which will be significant when I'm slogging up hills!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclezen View Post
Other option I might suggest looking into... Get a 30 ring for the current setup and have 48/30 .

Originally Posted by Herzlos
I was actually wondering about that and whether or not it'd work because...
I've actually been able to find the 30T ring on a few sites (one reputable, some on ebay/amazon), but not the 46T except for an Amazon listing that doesn't mention the BCD. If I can get away with running 48/30T with the Tiagra front mech that'd give me the best of both worlds and save me $40.
The idea of going to 11-36 is great ! Also a way to get that little bit extra, without any tech re-do...

The 16 tooth spread No-No came about back in the day of 8 & 9 spd... Because of chain width, the ring sizes were much more critical. IF you had a large ring and a small ring spread greater than 16 teeth, going to the 2nd smallest cog, while on the small ring, could often cause the chain to rub on the inside of the big ring...
I had a FSA 50/34 crank (forgot the crank name...it'll come to me... in about 2-3 weeks... LOL!) ) teamed up with a 13-21 shimano 9 spd cassette (uniglide back then) and it did exactly that....
I was able to work-around by 'McGivering' the chainline outward 1.5mm (that was back in the day of ISIS & Octalink BBs...)
Not necessary these days - BECAUSE - the 10 & 11 spd chains are significantly NARROWER than 8 or 9 , so the bike's chainline for the setup would have to be 3mm off for the rub to even be possible...
The other thing which would cause a chainline issue is old school steel & Alu BBs which might have been 'faced' with a heavy hand... Too much off, and the chainline goes inboard... not good.
Can't imagine a big, legit bike company doing that...
Hence using a big ring like my 52 with the small 34 is No Problemo !
I would expect the same would be true for the 48 & 30 combo...
Shimano is playing it safe (and adding some low hanging revenue) by staying with the 16 tooth spec...
Ride eOn
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen: