WheresWaldo
Ride it like you stole it

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale EVO Ultegra Di2, Pedal Force Aeroblade, Rue Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
Yes, I've been printing camera mounts for a couple of years, they're as strong as purchased stuff. .... I've got a number of mounts for a variety of cameras up on Youmagine. (I used to post to Thingiverse until Makerbot sold out the OSS community).
A few things, I went to YouImagine, first I heard of this site, not as many things up there are Thingiverse, but I need to browse a bit more. So thanks for mentioning it.

I have used Shapeways to print a few things since I don't have a 3D printer myself, for most prints they use SLS. I find the texture and strength of the SLS parts to my liking. Since home 3D Printers use FDM, have you had a chance to compare similar parts printed using both technologies?

Have you tried "finishing" your parts with an Acetone Vapor Bath? I used to use Acetone on a rag to "finish golf ferrules after sanding them to the proper diameter to match the hosel of the club head. It really smooths and shines up many plastics to make them look as if they come from an injection mold.

Since building the first seat post mount, I modified it a lot by angling the arm 17°. This allows the arm to sit basically parallel to the ground and allows a bit more leeway in which side you want to mount your devices. It is much more useful with the arm sticking straight out. I only made these in 27.2 and 31.6 as it covers the most common sizes and it is the only size seat posts I have on bikes I own. Here is a render of the part.

GoPro Seat Post Mount 27.2 x 17°

GoPro Seat Post Mount 31.6 x 17°

The other happy coincidence of leaving this on the seat post is that I no longer need something like this.
Attached Images