View Single Post
Old 12-28-20, 01:48 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by fourfa
Not sure if there’s a question here or if it’s more of a brag thread? Anyway Orto San Guilio is one of the most beautiful small towns I’ve seen in Italy, though hardly undiscovered. I happened to camp there and take a rainy zero day or two. Shortly before dinner time the tour bus people got on their buses and left the town quiet and timeless and a bit magical, so it was a lovely place to watch the evening change and wander the darkened streets. I’m sure the towns are similar throughout this region - ie a bit swarmed in the daylight hours - but unless you’re staying in town in expensive hotels or get lucky with a campground just outside the centro storico you might miss the magical quiet evenings and mornings. Upper Bergamo was similar. I’ll second a recommendation for Bormio and ride up and over Stelvio if you can, just for the accomplishment - but with such a short trip I’m not sure it’ll be worth the time. I spent 4-5 days in Bormio and just rode all the passes and Giro stages around there.
Actually I'm looking for input on routes. The report raybo provided was very detailed and helpful.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.