View Single Post
Old 11-11-22, 11:01 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 744 Posts
Originally Posted by SpedFast
I've been doing so much research into frame materials that I actually forgot why I was looking in the first place, sorry. I'm looking for the holy grail of bikes. In other words, the single one that says, "Hey, you don't need those others." And that would make my DW very happy. She encourages me (I'm 73 btw) to do good in the neighborhood which is why I fix other people's bikes, cars, trailers, and whatever is needed. But she is now encouraging me to begin downsizing the herd. I'm looking for an endurance style bike that I can put full fenders on in the winter, ride strictly roads/mups. Don't need to fit anything wider than 28mm tires. And last, but definitely not least, not weigh as much as the iron I currently own. I've already donated several bikes to the local charity and I still have 2 sheds full. (They're small sheds) I need to get down to one though so the DW can have the other for a potting shed. My fave right now is an aluminum with carbon fork, but it's a racing geometry and after 30 miles I feel done in but love the speed and quickness of it. My second fave is vintage steel and so comfortable I can go all day on it, just much slower. I contemplated upgrading it to brifters and 700c wheels a while back, but that won't make it any lighter. The other's in the stable are mostly alloys with low end components that I never ride anymore. Carbon was my first choice, but then I started thinking maybe titanium. However, like I said earlier, my current fave is alum, so maybe just find an alum endurance bike with drop bars. Lots of nice ones out there. Too many options really. Just thought I would filter through what others thought and why. Thanks for all the input. Smokey
Sounds like a fun, albeit pricey quest. It's a tough choice I'm sure. Good luck, whatever you choose, given your criteria, it sounds like you'll end up with a great bike.
Likes For phughes: