Old 06-18-19, 10:06 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
How are the mixed spd pedals versus just using MTB pedals? I find the MTB ones a bit difficult to get into/out of in a hurry.
I don't race cx (hell, I dislocated my fibula and haven't done more than little cruising rides around the neighborhood with my kids in a year), but I find the XT PD-M8020 style

is great for the need for fast in and out. If you can't get clipped in right away, you've got a large platform that you can still get power out of while locking in. Much better in gravel where I'm going down a hill and find I have to take a hard turn/corner faster than I'm expecting and temporarily unclip than when I used to use the old spd pedals without the cage (especially the one sided ones which are nice and light and never have pedal strike issues, but, if you find out it's upside down, there's not really much other than the axle to push on). Yeah, it's a little bigger so I've had a couple pedal strike issues when really leaning into a turn on pavement, but I'm using them currently on a low bb road bike with 175 mm cranks. Higher BB or shorter cranks, and it shouldn't be an issue. Or I could just not be a jackass on those turns because it was the same ones every time until I learned to back off a bit or not try pedaling through while leaning the bike that far.
Likes For himespau: