Old 12-06-19, 09:18 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
Spokes. Any less than a 32 spoke rear wheel will likely not go the distance.
Not just spokes but the proper spokes. There is a huge advantage in going from a 2.0mm straight spoke to a 2.0/1.8/2.0mm butted spoke and an even larger advantage with going to a 2.3/1.8/2.0 butted spoke...aka a triple butted spoke. There's about a 30% increase in strength when going from the straight spoke to the triple butted spoke. Eric Hjertberg says it's like adding 10 spokes to the wheel. I'm not sure I would go that far but it does significantly reduce broken spokes on bikes that carry heavy loads.

As a rider who weighs more than ryder101 does and puts more weight on the bike to tour, I can attest to the strength of triple butted spokes. I broke spoke regularly up until 2005 when I moved to all triple butted spokes. I haven't broken spokes since then. I tour both on- and off-road. Off-road puts much greater demand on the spokes especially when loaded. Broken spokes have just stopped being an issue.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute: