View Single Post
Old 06-24-21, 06:25 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3135 Post(s)
Liked 1,702 Times in 1,027 Posts
I carry both as well, despite being kind of uncomfortable with the indulgent wastefulness of CO2. I mean, maybe the production of the cartridges and gas is no worse, from an environmental quality standpoint, than the plastics and metal used in mini-pump production, I don’t know, but so many folks disposing of the gas cartridges all the time seems wasteful compared to the long life of a pump. I resisted gas for a long time until a buddy on a group ride gave me one to use and I saw how nice and convenient it was to use, allowing us to get back underway more quickly. It just feels self-indulgent, so I don’t wholeheartedly endorse gas use.

Of course, because canisters are limited in volume, having a pump on the bike is more versatile and allows one to potentially do more without any risk, so for example, helping a rider in need with your last canister is great, but then you’ve no flat repair ability. A pump, on the other hand, never runs out of air.

To the question, though, Lezyne mini-pumps are probably my favorites— I have three— though the last two I’ve bought have been Specialized Air Tools, which I think look particularly sleek but have some functional shortcomings compared to Lezynes. Most notably, the Lezyne hose connection to the valve is vastly better from an ergonomic perspective compared to the fixed head of the Specialized Air Tools. Given the infrequency of use, I weight style a little more in the case of Air Tool, but the Lezynes ain’t ugly either.

Both are built well and finished nicely, and come with mounting clips which bolt on water bottle bosses, behind a bottle cage if desired. Both Lezyne Road Drive and Specialized Air Tool work well and make inflating relatively easy; their action is good, solid, and easy.
Likes For chaadster: