View Single Post
Old 05-31-04, 02:02 PM
stevetone

Bikes: Specialized Rock Hopper, Felt F-70, lemond Buenos Aires, Trek T900 Tandem, Bianchi Volpe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by commander_taco
I still have one unaswered question: How come lugs are stronger? How can a bond between steel and bronze be stronger than the bond between steel and steel? It just does not work that way owing to the metallurgical differences (also note that steel and bronze do not react). For the record, solder is weaker than a weld. Lugs may be strong enough for bicycle application (altough anything is debatable in the absence of hard data), but I like to hear an explanation as to *why* lugs are stronger than welds. It is easy to make an assertion without proof...I guess you see my point.
thanx.
I have no proof. I think that you are probably right -- welds probably are stronger (as long as the structural integrity of the tubes being welded together are not compromised). However, the question is "Is it (a properly brazed and lugged joint) strong enough for the task being asked of it?" I think history has proved that to be a resounding YES!