View Single Post
Old 03-30-10, 12:42 AM
PaPa

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
PistaRider311,

I'm genuinely sorry you feel my response was personal... it was NOT. Just to clear the air, take a moment and go back and look at your 'entrance' to the Frame Builders forum.

1. You are a student (or admittedly have access to) not only a variety of welding equipment, but more importantly, access to certified, IN-PERSON instructors.

2. You make it known that you have "10 years experience" welding thin wall. If this were genuinely true (maybe it is, but I don't know that) then .035" shouldn't pose much a problem for you, and therefor you needn't waste your time asking total strangers if you can. So what did the CC instructor say about bike tubes?.. or did you even bother to ask him?

3. You obviously posted prior to doing a search. Had you searched, you would've discovered at least 38 'MIG welding' threads (some more informative than others). But the most disturbing part was, in your apparent haste, you overlooked the most recent thread titled, "MIG welding and Head tubes" - a thread so recent, it was, and still is listed on the first page when you enter the Frame Builders forum. And had you read as far as post #7 in that specific thread, you would've instantly acquired the answer to your initial question.

And then you take offense when some of us get a little cranky.

FYI, I acquired my first AWS, GMAW FC 'cert' in pipe, and shortly after in SMAW on 7018LH (also in pipe) in the fall of 1980 - 'twas a bow-dunk, high school night class in Arlee, Montana (I was not a HS student) and went on to add 8 more AWS 'certs' to my measly list of credentials over the last 29-1/2 years...

But does that imply that I'm an all-knowing expert in MIGing thin wall tube?.... ... absolutely NOT! What it does mean, is that my 29 years under-the-hood blessed me with the wisdom to know when GMAW is suitable.. and when it's not. So in that light, you are correct, I likely don't have the GMAW wisdom you seek because just like the many other talented torches here on BF, I've taken the time to broaden my talents... and learn more efficient and cost effective ways to do it...

Last edited by PaPa; 03-30-10 at 05:50 AM.