Old 11-22-16, 08:29 PM
Defyme

Bikes: 2015 Giant Defy Advanced 2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RNAV
I'm looking for a 40-60mm depth, wide internal rim width, tubeless-compatible rim brake carbon wheel set for around $2k. It appears that Boyd wheels are the best bang-for-the-buck out there and are what I'm planning on purchasing. I am, however, open to other suggestions.

Re: Boyd wheels, can someone explain to me the difference between Boyd's Prime hubs and White Industries T11 hubs? Are the T11s better? If so, what makes them better?

FYI, these wheels would be strictly for recreational use. I don't race, don't intend to race, but I do like spirited riding on group rides. Thanks in advance for educating me.
I recently purchased Boyd's 44mm disc brake carbon clinchers for my road bike. I emailed Boyd Johnson a very similar question but I was asking about Boyd's new Quest Hubs for disc brake wheels. In his response, he calls out the benefits of the White Industries Hubs that I think still apply to you.

"Both hubs are really nice hubs. It's not like we wanted to have a stock hub that feels awful and force people to upgrade. Both hubs are right at the same weight, with the Quest set being about 5 grams or so lighter. The biggest benefit of the White Industries is going to be the Titanium freehub body, steel axle, and pre-load for the bearings. It is also a made in USA hub set.

Both hubs have super quick engagement, although the White Industries is at 7.5 degrees whereas the Quest is at 5.6 degrees, so the Quest actually engages slightly quicker. Both have axle configurations for any axle size and very easy service."

My Altamont's had the Prime Hubs, and they were outstanding.