Old 05-14-19, 10:15 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Armyguy1914
IM focus on fit and geometry since I'm new to road bikes I want to get it right. Group sets are not all that important but I want a mid level at least dont have to be bottom or top of line. Sora or Claris would be good if you are on budget. I wanted to compare the Tiagra and the 105. I wanted to do my own research and look at videos on them. For the budget I did set either Tiagra 4700 or 105 R7000 are choices in my price point.
Tiagra is fine for a beginner. Tiagra is 10 speed, 105 is 11-speed. That is about the biggest difference between the two. Even Dura Ace was 10 speed only a couple of years ago, so don't be fooled by the "arms race" of groupsets. If 105 is in your price range, by all means get it, but nothing wrong with Tiagra. Tiagra level is sooooo good nowadays. (although this forum has some people that look down their nose at anything under Ultegra, don't be fooled)

Look at this video, from one of the most sensible Youtubers out there in my opinion: (this is comparing the previous groupsets, but the same logic still applies).

Those Giant bikes offer very good value for the money. If the bikes fit you, go for it.

Ask if you can test ride the bikes. You can only know fit after a decent test ride, not just by standing over it in the store.

Good luck!