Old 06-24-19, 08:11 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 1,251 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob_E
Solo stand: https://www.tensaoutdoor.com/product...-carcamp-tele/
Kind of destroys all the weight benefits of a hammock system, but you get to keep the comfort. I just took this thing down the GAP/C&O. I almost didn't bring. It almost wasn't worth it. Especially on that trip. The C&O in particular has so many campsites that if you can't hang at one, you just move on to the next. The one time I used it as a support for the hammock, I was at a site that had two, perfectly-spaced trees, but it wasn't until I got it set up that I realized, by getting stung, that I had disturbed a bee hive in the process. Had I noticed ahead of time, I would have just moved on to the next site. Instead I had to wait until near dark when the bees had quieted down to retrieve my tarp. I was happy to have the option to set up the hammock elsewhere on the site and not have to move on in the dark. The other time I used it to prop up one corner of my tarp because I had a beautiful spot on the river bank and wanted to be able to watch the river from my hammock (but still stay dry if it rained). I would have been able to hang every night without it, but it did come in handy. There's a version that doubles as a hiking pole that is, I believe, lighter, but I felt like the added complication of assembly outweighed (heh) the weight savings, but then if you never actually need it, you never have to assemble it, so maybe that was the wrong decision.
Thanks for the link to the Tensa. I had heard of it but had forgotten the name.

Yes, the GAP and C&O are very hammock friendly. I have done it and used the hammock every night. No issues finding a place to hang it. On night I used a tree and a picnic table though. In Cumberland, Maryland, I camped at the YMCA. They let us set up in their pavilion, so I hung it on the poles there. I didn't set up the tarp since we were under a roof.