View Single Post
Old 06-25-19, 11:33 AM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
I'm a multi-modal camper-tourer that uses the same UL/UC kit whether traveling by boot, pedal, paddle, or moto. To put a different perspective on things, weight is really only important when you have to physically wear/carry it (backpacking) - for me it's more about compactness, although compact and lightweight are closely related.

IMHO, additional weight really only matters riding uphill on road touring bicycles, and that impact is proportional to total rolling weight. So for example, 6 incremental lbs on a rolling total weight of 200lbs, is a 3% addition, but since you only riding uphill ~ a third of the time, then the impact of 6lbs to the overall ride is ~1% reduction to your average pace. Actually, the aerodynamics of the incremental bulk might count for more than its weight while bicycle touring - a cyclingabout article estimates pannier rigs to be 6%+ slower/less efficient than bikepacking rigs.

Compactness has other advantages - for me that often enjoys touring around densely populated coastline/urban areas, it provides better: theft security (take inside with me); multi-modal options (carry-on trains, subways, buses, ferries, ubers, certain planes); stealth camping (day-tripper appearance, carry everything deeper into woods); and suspension (option to wear/backpack gear and stand up) over particularly rough sections of road/off-road.

For warm weather (i.e. 40sF lows) my standard self-supported kit is down to a daypack size ~25L which is good for backpacking 4 days/nights. Bicycling, that's a single quick-release pannier/backpack on my folder, or a frame bag + small drybag/backpack on my gravel bike rack.

It's a personal hobby finding products and methods (primarily multi-tasking) to maintain/increase outdoor comfort while reducing weight and bulk - I quite enjoy it. I'm about as comfortable as I've ever been for human-powered camping, still with a double-wall tent, 2.5" mattress + pillow, camp chair, hot meals, evening shower, extra clothes/sandals, 'garage' space (for folder), evening cocktails, and even some 'A/C' (personal heater and fan).

Just my $0.02.