Old 01-13-20, 06:17 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 248 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Is that true? I have narrow shoulders. I built up my McLean in 1983 with wide bars and after many years decided narrow bars would be better for me. I have narrow shoulders. Should I be hoarding these? Wide bars are a godsend to all the wide-shouldered men who hadn't been considered but not to me.
Yes, hoard them if you can find them.

Am pretty sure no one is making them currently. 40 on center is as narrow as I know of and those, I think, are more like recent than current. Current is 31.8 centers with cable grooves and possibly carbon. The sales pitch for wide bars is so strong you can go to the races and see tiny women and juniors with big wide bars. Even at top competition levels the women use 'bars for men.

Another factor is many of the old ones were never that good and sagged, drooped, eventually cracked. They self destruct. In olden days 'bars were a service item, replaced frequently.

My shoulders are normal to wide and I still like narrow bars. The wife is a small person, there are few bars that really fit her. The ones that come close are very old.