View Single Post
Old 05-19-21, 02:56 PM
JLTD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
I'm 6'1", 165-ish. That "ish" part is important to me, haven't been on a scale in months after I noticed some bad habits forming in that never-ending quest to be as light as possible. Not here to rain on anyone's parade, weight and w/kg will always be tied as closely to bike racing as lycra is, all good there. Just a word of caution is all, everyone's experience is different, but I'm a happier guy all around when I can eat cake at a birthday party and not feel guilty after. Overall, I eat healthy and pay attention, just not as crazy as I once was.

Now that I've got that crap out of the way, I first started racing bikes in 2014, I was around 185. Steady improvement and steady but slow weight loss over the years. Didn't start training with power until 2017, by then I was about 175. Getting down to 165 did not negatively effect my raw power numbers, even on the high end (high is very relative for me, lol) and as my w/kg numbers improved so did my results and especially obviously when going uphill. I've been in the 165 range for the past few years now, and really don't swing much one way or another, even in the offseason. I will say that at most of our levels, even at the "top" (I'm a 1) a couple pounds one way or another isn't likely to be the difference between good or poor performance...unless those couple pounds serve as a major confidence boost, which can absolutely happen. Feel light, feel fast, go fast. And vice versa.
Likes For JLTD: