View Single Post
Old 06-07-21, 03:28 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
More important than all that is have you given much thought to how you will recharge on a tour of any real distance?

Reason I ask is I've considered the option but haven't really heard a workable solution. I've seen people do it while credit card touring, just stay in some sort of motel or B&B every night with guaranteed access to a power plug. They were only doing about 40 miles a day as well and were forced to carry their own charger around. But recharging while off the civilized track will be a real issue. Not sure there is a good way to do that. I've seen people suggest carrying two batteries, but that just means it will take twice as long to charge at night.

As for bike options, look for a belt compatible frame like a Soma Wolverine and put an aftermarket mid drive kit on it. BBS02/BBSHD can run a belt drive.

https://www.electricbike.com/gates-belt-bbs02/

You can then couple that to your own Rolhoff or IGH of choice.

None of the Riese Muller options seem to fulfill your wish list from what I can see. All they seem to have is commuter bikes that could be ridden on a tour. You are sort of making up your own rules on this. The normal "rules" for ultra reliable parts available in third world countries simply don't apply. So really you are looking for a comfortable bike one can spends days riding. My impression is you are looking for something you won't have to fiddle with, hence belt/IGN.

Whatever you get it will be heavy. Won't get much range any other way.

Last edited by Pop N Wood; 06-07-21 at 03:32 PM.