Old 07-28-21, 03:43 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by BinkyTurtle
I have a 1989 MS Racing Comp XT off-road bike. 19" Chromoly rigid blue frame, 18 speed Shimano Exage derailleurs, SIS index, Elliptical chainring. Always been kept tuned up and stored inside with tires inflated. Ridden mostly on rails to trails and road. Light mtn bike use but never crashed. My local bike shop advised me to ask about 1/2 of what I paid, which I believe was between $650 and $700. I have had it listed locally for $250 but don't even get calls about a bike this old. Since it was only made one year and is a great bike I am looking for advice on my pricing and how to get it in front of folks who might appreciate it and not opt for Wal-mart over this fine machine. Mostly original though I have put on a longer stem, replaced the shift levers, grips, seat and tires. I would post a pic but I keep getting this message:
You are only allowed to post URLs to other sites and photos after you have made 10 posts or more.

Odd that it has Exage since it was originally advertised as having Deore XT.

For those on here not familiar with this machine, It is a MAlcolm Smith Racing brand, which the next year was re-labelled as Alpinestars . The bicycles were designed by a former lead designer and engineer from Gary Fisher.

Both companies (MS Racing and Alpinestars ) very much in tune with the motocross and off road community. Malcolm Smith was a pioneer in American motocross, and mountain biking was looked at as a great way to cross train for the sport, as the cardiovascular demands in motocross are extremely high, but Malcolm Smith decided he did not want to keep up his involvement so the next year they shopped the brand around and Alpinestars took the lead

That is a nice piece of moto-centric marketing history. Would love to see photos -- they say you cant post until you have 10 posts up, so at the rate you post , we should look for the uploaded photos sometime in 2023? (Just kidding )

But seriously, you might expand the marketing to include some moto heads, as a MX or Off-Road guy might really like owning this curiosity from a Moto and Off-Road company