Old 08-10-21, 07:01 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Interesting. I've done similar maneuvers for years to treat my own occasional vertigo. Never got a proper diagnosis. Most doctors aren't interested in chasing down vaguely annoying symptoms, no matter the impact on our quality of life. Heck, most doctors I've met are basically meat machine mechanics and if it's not in the Chilton's for Humans manual, they shrug you off.

Mine is probably a combination of routine sinus and ear congestion for allergies, nasal polyps that are getting worse (but I doubt I'll get an ENT outpatient surgery appointment until after the pandemic has settled down), a busted up C1-C2 from a car wreck 20 years ago, and lifelong problems with occasional severe headaches (variously diagnosed as migraine, cluster headaches and trigeminal neuralgia -- neurologists never seem to agree on anything).

Sometimes Sudafed, guaifenesin and switching antihistamines helps, which indicates allergies and sinus/ear congestion. And I use Flonase and ipratropium bromide nasal inhalers. Sometimes this stuff doesn't help.

I get palpitations and skipped heart beats a lot -- I can see it using my Wahoo Tickr and an HRV app -- but even when it shows up on my EKG most doctors don't seem concerned. My immunologist says quit drinking coffee and taking Sudafed. Probably right, but that's not gonna happen until they find a fix for the chronic congestion, sinus pain and occasional dizziness.

Anyway, sympathies to folks struggling to get a diagnosis and responsive doctor. I've had a few good docs but they're few and far between. Most seem to have lost interest in their work long ago, or are looking for a really exciting patient, not someone with routine maladies. And this was before the pandemic. I'm not expecting much right now due to the pandemic.
C2-7 are messed up on my neck. I get occipital neuralgia attacks quite often. I occasionally (not often) get Trigeminal neuralgia. The difference is quite simple. With occipital neuralgia, you wish you were dead. With trigeminal neuralgia, you think you ARE dead. This pain makes broken bones seem like a mosquito bite

I recently found a new pain mgt doctor he applied a nerve block to a couple occipital nerves at the base of my neck and the pain was greatly reduced. The next step was RF ablation of those nerves. It is no silver bullet. The cause of the problems are in my neck and that pain still exists, but the pain into the eyes and double vision is pretty much gone at this point. Just sharing in case you were not aware of this treatment.