View Single Post
Old 08-26-20, 04:31 PM
rholland1951

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 1,750 Times in 891 Posts
Monday afternoon, I was back on the Rawland again for a ride that covered 24 miles and 1200' of elevation gain, up and down three hills: Page Road/Grove Street, Hill Street/Paul Revere Road, and Mass. Ave. over the Stone Store hill. This route was inspired by @autonomy, who pointed out the Hill Street/Paul Revere Road missing link between the two bigger hills.

The way I rode it started with a spin out the Minuteman. The Mile 4.0 Cairn Builders culture had evolved yet again, and had to be admired.

One of the reasons I was out again that day was that the weather oracle had shown the probability for thunderstorms that afternoon to have abruptly collapsed since the first time I had looked that morning. I didn't quite trust this, and so I adopted "Watch the skies!" as the motto for this ride. So far, so good.

I got off the Minuteman at Wiggins Avenue, Bedford. This street has personal significance for me, since I made my living there writing PDP-11 assembly language for what turned out to be a successful startup, back when PDP-11s existed. That was a whole bunch of fun, and taught me a lot.

One of the things it taught me was about the little footbridge across the Shawsheen River, hidden away between Preston Court and Bridge Street. This is worth knowing about, if you're on a bicycle in Bedford: it gives you options.

I crossed the footbridge, picked up Bridge Street and took that to Pine Street, crossed Great Road to Shawsheen Road, followed that to Page Road, and began the staged climb. A young thunderhead, which was practicing its grumble and dispensing a most welcome cooling drizzle, kept me company as I cranked my way up to the Bedford-Lexington line, a level spot almost to the top of thehill, I stopped to admire the hubcap collection at Susan Crocker's farm, which achieved a certain fame in years past with the road sign, "PLEASE DON'T SQUISH MY CHICKENS".

Crossing the town line put me on Grove Street, and I continued up a little further, then went barreling down the descent, hitting 34 mph on the mercifully smooth pavement. This carried me across I-95 (no ramp!), and gave me another opportunity to watch the skies, and the cloud that was still sprinkling me.

I picked up Burlington Street, took that to the rotary where I briefly got on Hancock Street, then turned right onto Revere Street, crossed the Minuteman, and began to climb again. Crossed Bedford Street and picked up the aptly-named Hill Street. Paused to photograph the Hill Street Significant Digit.

On past the Lexington Poor Farm, the street name changes to Paul Revere Road, and soon enough the pavement drops away into a bracing descent that returns all those gravity dues previously paid. This leads to an intersection with Mass. Ave, and the beginning of the last big hill of the ride, Mass. Ave. past the Stone Store.

That climbed without the benefit of cooling drizzle, the descent was thrilling, cooling, and over too soon. Then on through Lexington Center, past the Battle Green (one nation, under clouds) and on down Mass. Ave. to East Arlington and home.

On my arrival home, I was left to ponder whether this was a dragon, or a duck?

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 08-27-20 at 10:14 AM. Reason: fix numerous late-night typos
Likes For rholland1951: