View Single Post
Old 08-29-20, 08:54 AM
rholland1951

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 1,750 Times in 891 Posts
Took the Surly Trucker DeLuxe on another iteration of the east-facing Rivers & Hills route on Friday afternoon, this one noteworthy for what went wrong: my phone's battery failed in a new and interesting way, and I had the rare pleasure of changing out the tube on the rear Rat Trap Pass tire when the old one developed a slow leak and I got tired of pumping it up every quarter mile. Seems this was due to something I ran over on one of the Mystic River Reservation paths; I heard rather than saw that happen, a loud CRACK! Whether that had anything to do with the millimeter-scale sharp I found embedded in the tread is, of course, unknowable.

The battery problem pretty much inhibited my photographic impulse, and the phone spent much of the ride turned off. Here's the only photo of the hilly section of the ride, part of the long descent from Bacon Street, Winchester, down Main Street to Winthrop Street, Medford, and Winthrop Square (which is a circle, naturally), and so down High Street to Medford Center. It's a good run if you don't mind the occasional steel plate.

Mystic River, Route 16 underpass, Medford: a pair of canoeists paddle upstream. Thanks to animation artifacts, it appears they could tow a water skier.

Farther downstream, the Mystic broadens to hold the sky in its apron.

Later, I turned on the phone for a brief minute to capture the prayer flags and stupa in the Kurukulla Center for Tibetan Buddhist Studies garden. The bike breathed with me.

rod
Likes For rholland1951: