View Single Post
Old 11-22-22, 07:32 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by giemsa
Anyone else in California notice that they're getting fined where they didn't before? I got my first ever not-full-stopping-at-a-stop-sign fine ever in >10 years of regularly biking in this city. I totally understand how it applies to those crazy cycling clubs going 30 mph through stop signs. But until now I've never had a problem doing a 2 mph slow roll (even right in front of cops). A full stop with unclip has never been enforced before, I'm fairly heavy so not very fast, and I slow down at all cross streets to check for cars regardless of whether there's a stop sign or not. Then I realized that for the past few months I've been getting phone calls and mailers asking for donations to my local police department, which I've never gotten before in >10 years of living here. There's a study entitled "Taxation by Citation?" (I can't post a link as a new user) where they show citations/fines increase when city revenue drops. Has anyone else noticed that there's new enforcement recently and does it seem to correlate with some sort of revenue shortfall?
I have not noticed anything different in Sacramento. What city are you referring to? This is a big state.