View Single Post
Old 01-27-23, 09:33 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
I underwent ulnar nerve relocation surgery at both the wrist and elbow over 30 years ago. Still have very little muscle between my thumb and first finger in that hand compared to the other (which the surgeon said was typical of long-term ulnar entrapment), but more than before the surgery.

The feeling in my ring and little fingers came back eventually, but I still experience hand numbness if I ride using flat bars or drop bars for more than 20 minutes or so. The only workaround I've found is using clamp-on aero bars. I have those installed on all my bikes. As long as I use the aero bars for a good proportion of a ride, I can stay on the bike more or less indefinitely.
Awesome. A recumbent helps me because I can steer with one finger if needed but the vibration still exasperates nerve impingement at the cervical spine and I do feel it in my arm, hand, and fingers. On an upright, I also use clipons. I plan to use them on Paris Brest Paris this year hoping they offer enough relief for me to finish the ride. I use risers on the aero bars, so, my position is not terribly aerodynamic but it keeps my head and neck a little higher. I have had 3 EMG studies, xrays, and MRI of the wrist. So very bizarre to have pain there but the source is upstream.
Likes For GhostRider62: