Old 03-30-23, 12:58 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Most of those cars are not rated at the towing capacity of a 2" receiver so no manufacturer will make a 2" hitch for them.

Like any service facility it depends on the individual location/worker
This is silly advice. I put a 2" receiver on my 2022 Rav4 so I could use my 1up bike rack on it. I installed a Curt Class III 2" hitch receiver and paid $214.61 to buy it from etrailer.com (a great source for tow products and advice). The more expensive hitches included a connector and wiring for use with a trailer which I did not need for the Rav4. For towing I have a F-150 pickup truck.

Much simpler to have one bike rack that works easily with both vehicles and no adapter needed. Often a hitch adapter makes the bike rack stick further back and the mount can be lower to the ground and more likely to scrape. One thing I like about the 1up bike rack is that the bike mounts increase in ground clearance the further back they are so the second bike is higher than the first and if a third platform is added it is even higher and has more ground clearance.

Receiver class only comes into play when one is towing and the receiver needs to be able to handle the maximum load based on the tow rating of the vehicle's manufacturer. If the receiver can handle a great load that is not going to be a problem.
Likes For Calsun: