Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by gauvins
Interesting. What is your setup? On which platform do you plan your route? To which device do you want to push it?

I've faced this problem years ago. Ended up using a phone instead of a bike computer.

I have a Forerunner 910 that requires physical connection to upload courses. I "think" that it would be possible to use an OTG USB adapter and appropriate software to upload courses, but never bothered as I could access a computer often enough.

I "think" that Bluetooth or wifi enabled Garmin devices can get courses via Garmin's Connect app. You'd generate a gpx file from whatever routing app on your phone, import into Connect and sync with your device.
For platform, I use RidewithGPS.com, premium account. I have hundreds of routes saved there. I move the route(s) to my Garmin 800, purchased in '10. The Garmin Edge 830 is the newest in that line. On a long tour, I break the route down to sections of under 400k. I usually pre-plan the whole tour, but sometimes things don't work out that way. Being able to create and upload new routes at a WiFi hotspot would be wonderful.