View Single Post
Old 01-20-22, 12:12 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by PeterCNX
I am your senior in age by quite a few years but even if I was 30 years younger these would still be tough......

You want to know the routes .... Google maps is your friend. Here are some examples to enter.......

Chiang Mai to Mae Wang to Mae Win to Khun Wang

Chiang Mai to Doi Inthanon peak

Chiang Mai to Mae Wang to Mae Win to Samoeng

Chiang Mai to Mae Rim to Samoeng to Chiang Mai (counter clockwise loop).

I think there is a youtube channel called DurianRider and he recorded some of the routes some years ago.... search for Inthanon and you will get an idea. Google maps should give you a clear feel.

Just saw this short clip from another person, I am not allowed to post the URL but if you search for Khun Wang, Chiang Mai you will find it .......9RX3ANol9xY A couple of shots show what I mean, GoPro makes this look easy but it is not.........
I'm not savy enough to make google maps show elevation and grade percentage. If I routinely rode where a 34x34 on road bike bike wouldn't get it done, I'd get an e-bike. If the budget didn't allow that, I'd get nice pair SPD cycling shoes/pedals and push the thing up the climb and ride down. If the climbs are as brutal as you're making them sound, there ain't a lick of difference between a 34x34 and 30x34 as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by nomadmax; 01-20-22 at 12:22 PM.