View Single Post
Old 01-31-22, 03:52 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,872 Times in 3,016 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
You got it. The gradient will give you a "pull" and your setup will affect how that pull will increase or decrease your riding comfort.

If I'm just going to have 1 hour ride doing loops in the hills, I'm going to tilt my saddle down at home before I leave. For >2 hour rides with plenty of flats, I'll keep the saddle level.

Tilted down saddle can be uncomfortable on long descents obviously. One way I deal with it, is stand over the down pedal but without changing my arm position so my butt is still over the saddle and still hunched down in an aero position. The position relieves pressure on the hands and butt and is a very comfortable position to descend.

This is one extreme example of a bike setup for Hill Climb Championship, note the maximum forward position and saddle tilted down. I suspect the event will be involving some long very steep climbs that's why the saddle is tilted that far down.

This is my solution. I think it works well for both flats and climbing. I just set the forward part of the saddle horizontal and the tail is angled 9 deg downward. I don't adjust my saddle setback for climbing, but I have an endurance setup, so my reach is fairly conservative anyway. I can see the logic in it though.

Likes For PeteHski: